Friday 18 November 2016

November Update

I was trying to keep my entries chronological, but it's so long between posts that I'll write about what I've most recently worked on, and fill in the gaps later (eg, I'll get back to fitting the exhaust later).  However, if you want to know if I've worked on anything that's not in a post, please ask.

So today I've replaced one of the radiator hoses.  I think I described in an earlier post how I had dumped all the engine coolant when a hose came off a stub pipe that wasn't connected properly.  I fixed it at the time, but the same thing happened again a couple of weeks ago.  This time it looked like the end of one of the rubber hoses had perished.  However, I tried to put it together again.  Unfortunately, I used a small amount of oil on the stub pipe to try to get it further onto the hose, but although I tightened the clip as tight as I could, it easily came apart again, dumping another volume of coolant down the drain.

This time, I decided to look more closely at these problem hoses, identifying them properly through my workshop manual and SNG Barrett's parts manual.  It turns out that it should only be a single hose from the water pump to the oil cooler - whoever had put the car together before I got it must have had problems with the hose, split it in two, and found an appropriate diameter steel pipe to make a connection stub from.  Having worked this out, I ordered the correct hose from SNG, and it arrived within a couple of weeks.  The old 2-piece hose and the new correct hose are shown together in the photo below:
New water pump / oil cooler hose, compared to 2-part hose that had been cobbled together.

The bottom part of the old hose came off OK, since I'd had it off a couple of times before.  I was a bit worried that I'd have trouble with the upper part, attached to the outlet from the water pump as it didn't appear to have been touched in a long time, and access to it was a bit restricted.  Earlier this week I sprayed the hose clip with release oil, so that loosened easily.  The hose was quite tight on the pipe, but with manipulation, it came off relatively easily.

Putting the new hose on was a simple job, so now I'm a lot more confident about my cooling system. I topped up the coolant and ran the car round until the engine was fully warm - in fact, the gauge only just got into the "normal" lettering, which is the lowest I've had it.  This may have been helped by improved flow through the new hose, as the old hose was flattened on the bend.

This is the second improvement I've had in the cooling temperature.  When I first started running the car, the temperature gauge would rise all the way to the hot end of the scale.  I had heard that old gauges could sometimes read high, and as the engine had never actually overheated (dangerous logic, I know!) I continued to run the car, although not for long after it had reached high temperature.  Having said all this, I still looked for "easy" ways of trying to get the gauge to read properly.  I decided I might as well replace the thermostats, so bought two 74C rated 'stats from SNG.
One of the original thermostats that I replaced with a new one from SNG Barrett.
Physically, there doesn't seem to be any difference between the old and the new.  I still need to test the two old ones that I took out.

Since I have done that, the temperature gauge has never gone back to full scale, and while the car is moving, it now stays at the low end of the "normal" lettering.  A nice success.

The other thing I did today was to fit the rear number plate trim.  It's a chromed(?) plate that fits around the rear number plate carrier.  It's a bit distorted, I guess from the accident the car was in before I bought it, but I've managed to secure it in place using small self-tapping screws (see photo below):


The number plate trim is the "silver" rectangles seen inside the lights.
I had to remove the lights to fit the trim, as the lights help to keep the trim in place.

Now I have this trim in place, I can fit the carrier that I also bought from SNG.

So, continuing to make progress.  Still need to sort out the door locks and handles - I may try to get a locksmith to help me on this one - and the overriders and reversing lights on the back bumper, but I'm getting close to needing to get the sills replaced.  This is a good job to get someone to do for me over the winter, when I won't want to drive the car, anyway.  Hopefully that will allow me to get a Safety Certificate for the car, and I'll be able to take it out onto the highways come the Spring.  (Fingers crossed!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment