Friday 1 April 2016

Brief Update - lack of Activity

Haven't written anything for a while.  Basically I haven't done much on the car in the last couple of weeks.  I've been trying to make sure I understand the braking system, and to work out where the leak could be, causing the brake fluid to get into the engine.  Basically both the Master cylinder and the Slave cylinder are indirectly connected to the air/vacuum circuit through the Reservac tank, which itself is connected via a check valve to one of the inlet manifolds.  The Master cylinder is attached to the Reaction valve of the air/vac circuit, and the Slave cylinder is attached to the servo diaphragm. To verify this, and get some suggestions on what the cause could be, I submitted a post to the "Jaguar Forums".  I was grateful for the couple of responses that came back verifying my thoughts, and suggesting that the cause could be the diaphragm in the servo.

So I've gone ahead and ordered repair kits for the Master Cylinder, the Servo cylinder, the reaction valve, and a new diaphragm for the servo.  It was suggested that I may be better off just buying replacement cylinders because repairing them could be problematic, but I bought the car as a project to allow me to do a lot of the work myself, so I'm going to try the overhauls myself (as a back-up I can buy replacement cylinders, although I'm also considering cost by initially going for overhaul rather than replacement).  All the repair kits are now on order from SNG Barratt in the US - hopefully they'll be here within the next couple of days - they've already been shipped.

Even though the servo diaphragm has been suggested as the most probable cause, I'm going to start by overhauling the master cylinder and the reaction valve, basically because they're the easier to get access to, having taken off the air cleaner (again) - photo below.

Brake Master Cylinder and Reaction Valve
If overhaul of this system works - great - I'll be done for now.  If not, then I'll have to get into the Slave Cylinder and Servo.  These are a lot more difficult to get at, and I think I'll be looking at removal of the heater fan & motor and the Reservac tank to give me access to them.  You can just about see the servo unit in the centre of the photo below; the Slave cylinder itself is hidden by the bar; that's the Reservac tank on the right.

Brake Servo in centre of photo; Reservac tank on right and Reaction valve on the Master Cylinder at top of photo.
As soon as the parts arrive I'll get the Master Cylinder and Reaction valve off and overhaul them - hopefully in the next week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment