Wednesday 27 April 2016

Removing the Slave Cylinder - Pt1

Having ordered the replacement brake master cylinder and slave cylinder, decided that I should get the old slave cylinder out so I would be ready to slip the new parts in as soon as they arrived.  So yesterday I went to get it done.  From what I had looked at before, I knew I wasn't going to be able to take it out without removing other assemblies.  I had already taken out the washer fluid bottle (not replaced since installing the slave cylinder reservoir) and the left side air filter housing (for accessing the Master cylinder).  This was the view I was left with:
Reservac Tank Blocking Access to Brake Servo and Slave Cylinder
The Slave Cylinder is behind and below the Reservac tank that's in the foreground, so that had to come out.  Doing so wasn't too bad - the hoses to the inlet manifold came off OK (I'd already had them off once to check the condition of the Check Valve).  The hoses connected to it were also not too bad, although a bit of prising was needed.  Fortunately all came off in one piece.  The one connection that stumped me for a while was the connection of the tank to the car body.  The bolt through the side bracket into the car body was OK, but I thought the bottom bracket was bolted to another bracket welded onto the floor of the engine compartment.  Turns out the tank bracket was just bolted through the floor.  So took out the tank to give me, at least better visibility of the Slave Cylinder:
View of Brake Servo and Slave Cylinder
The problem now was the fresh air intake hose.  That was a struggle to get off the stub out of the body, but came eventually, again, without damage.  However, when I followed the hose back to the intake itself, I found the hose split in two and kept together with a make-shift bandage - it will need replacing.
While I was getting the air hose off, I had left the Reservac tank to one side.  I had expected to see brake fluid come out of at least one of the hoses when I disconnected it, but nothing came out.  Now, when I went back to it, after leaving it lying on its side which allowed the liquid to accumulate near one of the outlets, about 3/4 of a brake fluid reservoir volume of brake fluid drained out.  I must admit, I was a little surprised at how much came out, but I shouldn't have been really, after the amount of pumping of the brakes I had done to try to get rid of all the air.

Now with pretty much everything out of the way, I could get at the connections to the front and rear brakes (via the PDWA switch) disconnected from the top of the Slave cylinder.

Now all that was left was to disconnect the cylinder from the mounting bracket at the front end, and the Servo from the car body.  Undoing the bolt from the front end wasn't too difficult, although it was awkward getting spanners onto both the bolt and the nut holding the bracket to the floor of the car.  Eventually got it, but with limited swing on the spanners, it took a while to get it loose enough to move.  The three nuts holding the studs on the servo were easier to get at than I'd expected - just involved lifting the carpet and insulation from under the pedals in front of the drivers seat and undoing them.  Once they were off, there was nothing else holding the Servo and Slave Cylinder onto the car:
Servo released from the bulkhead.
Now it was time to remove the Servo/Slave Cylinder assembly.  That's where I stopped for the day.  I had one try, and realised it was going to take quite a bit of manipulation to get the Servo, in particular, out between the frame.  It had taken me about 4 hours to get to this point, so I decided manipulation (and persuasion?) could wait for another day.  The only other thing I did was disconnect the fuel return pipe, because it lies right across the access between two of the bars of the frame, in the way of the route for the Servo/Slave to come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment